Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Abstract or Non-objective Form

These paintings were made using the concept that oil resists water. I would flood the white canvas with water then spill the liquified oil paint into the puddle and play with it until I got the image I was pleased with. It sometimes took two or three days for the water to fully evaporate and another week or two for the oil paint to completely dry. But the results were worth the wait.

Viridian IX: 55"x67" oil on canvas... viridian is one of my favorite colors. The pigment is made from hydrated oxide of chromium.

The center four canvases are my Composer Series from top: Chopin; Johann Sebastian; Wolfgang Amadeus and Ludwig Von: each 40"x38" 

Black Iris: 55"x67" oil on canvas

Djarum Series I-VII

Djarum VII: 40"x55" oil and silkscreen on canvas


Waves: 12"x12" oil on wood

Homage to Gerhard Richter: 12"x12" oil on wood

4 comments:

Tom said...

I don't always interpret/appreciate abstract art as much as I think I should.

I see/feel/sense the raw power of nature in some of these.

I'm trying to remember the styles and powers of the four musical genii you refer to in your Composer series. Chipin and Bach were both much quieter in their styles than Mozart - crazy, deranged Amadeus. And Beethoven - the power and frenetic energy - his ensuing loss of hearing - what must it have been like to never hear one of your own symphonies?

Tom said...

I hit Post too quickly - I'd like to see each panel of the Djarum series more clearly, if that's possible - to see the progression from start to finish.

I like the power and the flows I'm seeing.

Tom said...

You mentioned that these remind you of fractals - an interesting topic - Fibonacci sequences and some of the French Curvyish resultant patterns. . .

Dilo Keith said...

I agree with Tom about seeing more of the Djarum series, but I think VII, the one shown, will still be my favorite of those. I also especially like Black Iris.