Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Relics and Ruins

More charcoals from my Wastelands Suite and some oil paintings they led to...

Y.M.C.A.: 30"x22" charcoal on gray Rives BFK... I originally took this picture because I was fascinated by the abstract quality of the windows, and that led to a series of paintings, but eventually this charcoal led to my relic drawings which became much bigger than anything I'd done before.

Cross: 44"x30" charcoal on gray BFK heavyweight... I love the climbing depth in this one.

Field of Beams: 30"x22" charcoal on gray BFK ...this drawing led to several variations.

And a Stream Runs Through It: 47"x41" oil/wax/dry pigments on canvas

Rite de Passage: 30"x22" charcoal on gray BFK ...I gave this drawing to my cousin when he completed his 12 step program to kick drugs and alcohol. That was his rite of passage.

Rust In Pieces: 96"x119" oil on broken masonite

Entrance: charcoal and chalk on handmade gray paper

1 comment:

Tom said...

Gus, These scenes are haunting - evocative.
(I know a certain author who might find them wonderful companion pics to one section of his treatise - a city of rusted steel in a wasteland
of an epochal battle eons ago.

Lives up in the Tillamook, OR area.